Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wisdom & the Lack of "End in Mind Thinking"

A timeline is typically linear in nature. After all, it is a timeLINE. However, for those who know me well - or even barely know me for that matter- it won't come as a shock that my timeline could end up being rather circuitous. I am a digresser, a story teller at best. Story telling lends itself to circuitous timelines. Be tolerant. Stephen Covey talks about the importance of beginning with the end in mind. Really? I quote this as much as anyone; but in the lifelong arena, where is the end? Don't over think is. I simply mention it because it just isn't that simple - or complex. One day in 1997, close to the time that summer turned to fall, I stood in a grocery store in west Phoenix/east Peoria, gripping the handle of the cart, paralyzed with frustration. "End in a mind" thinking wasn't even released on the world then by Covey. Even if it had been, this girl wouldn't have been tracking in that direction. I cried out to God, "Why don't you at least let me try." And then pounding the handle in an 2-year-old tantrum sort of way that attracted the one other fool who went to the grocery store at 6 AM on Saturday morning, I continued,"give me a chance Lord. I want to lead." And if I would have been watching more closely, I probably would have been unnerved by what I sense in hindsight I would have seen: God standing with arms crossed, a slight smile on his face, pondering for a monument and then saying, "ok. If that's what you want." And the following Tuesday, the Westwind Children's Services board met. I told them I wanted the job of director of Westwind Academy. Chuck and I had served on the board of WCS for a few years. Members of the board were dedicated people, and several were educators. A tough group with a pure dedication to helping kids. We had trekked to Mexico together to investigate building group homes in Tijuana. We had wrapped Christmas presents together for foster kids. Now we would embark on an endeavor akin to starting a dairy farm: no days off, work goes on, kids and cows show up whether we are ready or not. Board members asked me tough questions that Tuesday night, and ultimately voted to offer me the position of Director of Westwind Prep. Let the fun begin....

No comments:

Post a Comment